Advanced Child-Centered Play Therapy Workshop
This special one-day advanced workshop is for those who have had previous training in Child-Centered Play Therapy (CCPT) and who desire to augment and solidify their knowledge and skills in the method. The purpose of the workshop is to provide strategies for dealing with problems frequently encountered in the practice of play therapy. Special emphasis will be placed on issues around limits, communicating with parents, and extended empathy. This will include advanced skill training through role-play demonstrations, supervised practice exercises, and opportunities for participants to discuss problems which they have encountered in the application of the method. The ratio of participants to workshop leader(s) will be kept small to ensure ample opportunity for individual questions and discussion.
Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe how to utilize the advanced play therapy skill of empathic responding
- Describe how to utilize the advanced play therapy skill of facilitating a child’s role-plays
- Identify effective strategies to address common problems encountered in play therapy
- Describe how to utilize the different stages of play therapy to assess the child’s progress in play therapy
- Describe how to assess parental concerns regarding their child’s progress in play therapy
- Stages and common themes in the play therapy process
- Interpretation of atypical play themes
- Handling common problems and special situations
- Effective limit-setting
- Creative participation in the child’s role-plays
- Dealing with uncooperative parents
- CCPT and sexual abuse
- Working with special children and families, including foster care and adoptive applications
A two-day training workshop in Child-Centered Play Therapy (or its equivalent in course work) offered by IDEALS, NIRE, Penn State, Guerney, Nordling, Scuka, SUNY-Oswego, North Texas State, Landreth, Andronico, Ginsburg, Lay, Levinger, Norton, Sywulak, VanFleet, or someone else who uses as a strict guide, writings by Axline, Moustakas, Ginott or by the people listed above. Otherwise, it is recommended that those interested in this workshop first take NIRE’s two-day Child-Centered Play Therapy Workshop.
CE Information and Supervision Credits
6 hours of CE credits are provided to psychologists, social workers, counselors, and play therapists.
For further information on CE credits, please see Continuing Education Information
Completion of this workshop counts toward the 150 hour requirement to become a Registered Play Therapist through the Association for Play Therapy.
Participants completing this workshop will earn 2 hours of supervisory credit toward NIRE’s Certification Program in Child-Centered Play Therapy.
- Louise Guerney, Ph.D.
- Rob Scuka, Ph.D., M.S.W.
Schedule, Cost and Registration Information
Cost of the Advanced Play Therapy Workshop is $160.
A discount of $25 is available for each person attending from the same site and registering together.
The workshop meets from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Lunch is on your own.
Additional Training Opportunities
Participants completing this workshop may also wish to attend NIRE’s: