How to Conduct Relationship Enhancement® Therapy
with Couples and Families
A Video-based Home Study Program
Bernard G. Guerney, Jr., Ph.D.
William Nordling, Ph.D. and Rob Scuka, Ph.D., M.S.W.
This video-based home study program is appropriate for:
- Learning How to Conduct Relationship Enhancement® Couple / Family Therapy
- Advanced Training in RE Couple / Family Therapy
- Supervision in RE Couple / Family Therapy
- Certification Opportunities in RE Couple / Family Therapy
For those wanting to learn how to conduct RE Couple / Family Therapy
This innovative and comprehensive home study program makes it remarkably convenient and inexpensive to learn the original psycho-educational, skills-training therapy model from which the Couple Relationship Enhancement® Program was derived – the same program that an award-winning meta-analytic study at Purdue University found to be the most effective of twelve major couples relationship programs, and that well-controlled research studies have shown to be effective with highly distressed as well as happy couples.
This home study program is built around a 13-hour, 9-tape video set documenting a Relationship Enhancement® Couple / Family Therapy Training Workshop and the creative and always stimulating work of Bernard G. Guerney, Jr., Ph.D., the creator of RE Therapy. This home study program is designed for those who are interested in learning how to conduct Relationship Enhancement® (RE) Therapy and/or who have attended a half- or full-day RE Therapy workshop not involving extensive skill training under supervision. This home study program will equip you with a basic level of skill for conducting RE Therapy with couples and families.
Completion of This Home Study Program Is an Alternative Prerequisite for Application to NIRE’s:
- Certification Program in Relationship Enhancement® Couple Therapy
- Certification Program in Relationship Enhancement® Family Therapy
For information, please visit Certification Programs in RE Therapy, CCPT and FFT
Home Study Program Learning Objectives
Upon completion of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe how to structure an intake interview so as to minimize in-session conflict and maximize commitment to positive therapeutic engagement
- Explain the ten Relationship Enhancement skills
- Describe how to structure Conflict Management Skill as a contract between couples
- Describe how to use the Identification Mode of Empathy to help couples deepen their dialogues
- Describe how to use advanced RE Therapy techniques of Becoming and Troubleshooting to manage the RE therapy process
- Describe how to utilize individual sessions in support of the RE couple/family therapy process
- Describe how RE Therapy addresses power imbalances among family members
- Describe how to motivate the doubtful, resistant or hostile adolescent, spouse or parent
20 hours of CE credits are provided to psychologists, social workers and counselors.
For further information on CE credits, please see Continuing Education Information
The Complete Home Study Program Includes: the 9-DVD “How To Conduct Relationship Enhancement® Therapy with Couples and Families: A Video Training Workshop”; the Relationship Enhancement® Therapist’s Manual; a Therapist’s RE Audio Demonstration Tape; the “How to Conduct Relationship Enhancement® Therapy Home Study Program Guide,” and 3 hours of telephone consultation/supervision. The cost is $495.00, plus S/H.
To order, please visit our Bookstore.
For those wanting Advanced Training, Supervision, and/or Certification in RE Couple / Family Therapy
The 9-tape video set that serves as the foundation of the home study program described above also constitutes a valuable resource for therapists who have already attended a 3-day RE Couple / Family Therapy Skill-Training Workshop. For those already so trained, the video demonstrations will deepen, enrich and amplify your knowledge and skillfulness in conducting RE Therapy – and will give you a permanent video record to consult in the future when the need arises.
In addition, therapists already trained in RE Therapy can use the 9-tape video set in order to earn credit-hours toward certification as a Relationship Enhancement® Couple or Family Therapist. Viewing this video set and completing a 25 question true/false test earns 3 hours of credit toward the 26 hours required for certification. The cost of the 9-tape video set, including an outline of their contents is $245.00, plus S/H. To order, please visit our Bookstore.
For those desiring simply to learn about RE Couple / Family Therapy
The 9-tape video set is also available for purchase by those who have had no prior training in RE Therapy and who would simply like to understand RE Therapy better. This option is available for those who are uncertain about wanting supervised skill-training at this time. The cost of the 9-tape video set, including an outline of their contents is $245.00, plus S/H. To order, please visit our Bookstore.